The Governing Body of Rhodes Avenue comprises 20 governors: 5 Parent Governors, 8 Co-opted Governors, 1 Local Authority Governor (tba), 5 Associated Governors, and the Headteacher Governor. The governors are enthusiastic, pro-active and committed to maintaining and improving excellence in all aspects of school life.
The overall brief for a Governing Body is to provide a strategic view, ensure accountability and act as a ‘critical friend’. Governors have increasing responsibilities that result in making crucial decisions about the school. They are involved in all aspects of the school’s development, and monitor and evaluate progress. A Governing Body both supports and challenges the school.
The Governors meet as a whole group and, in addition, most Governors sit on one or more of the Committees. Rhodes Avenue has four Committees which fulfil specific roles including:
- Setting and monitoring the annual budget;
- Ensuring best use of available resources;
- Overseeing staffing issues.
- Writing and reviewing all curriculum-related policies;
- Monitoring key focus areas in the School Development Plan;
- Monitoring teaching and assessment strategies.
- Making improvements to home/school communications;
- Overseeing publicity materials;
- Conducting annual surveys for pupils and parents.
Health & Safety committee:
- Overseeing care and maintenance of school premises;
- Monitoring all aspects of safety within the school;
- Overseeing how to maintain and improve healthy lifestyles.
Working Parties are also formed to action specific issues as and when appropriate. A working party can include governors, staff, parents and/or other experts.
Contact & Communication
We actively encourage communication with and from parents. We hold a topical Open Evening for Parents and Carers every year and governors are in attendance at each Parents’ Evening to hear your suggestions and address any issues. You can also contact the governors by email at email@example.com. Please title your email ‘For the Attention of The Chair of Governors’.